Tuesday, April 13, 2010

The Green Living Guy’s Top Ten Things For Going Green This Earth Day

 earthday  I asked my friend Seth Leitman from  who  writes and is The Green Living Guy, who met through Heather Flournoy at Katonah Green at a Westchester County GreenDrinks, what the Green Living Guy thinks for are ten top ten things to do for Earth day.  This is what he told me….

1. Insulate.  Over a year ago I wrote on Planet Green a story called: Adding or Upgrading Your Attic Insulation Will Save Energy and Reduce Your Carbon Footprint! Why You Need To Add Or Upgrade Your Insulation Now. If you were to go up in your roof and add or upgrade your attic insulation you would save money every year you live in that home!  Yes, insulation is dirty and nasty; just wear a mask, pants, sweatshirt and hat.  Bottom line, you need to add this insulation!! Even if you have a professional do the job, please do not forget to seal the attic with an attic stair cover!! Now, you might just be thinking about recouping the money you invested to buy the insulation. Here is the thing: Your energy savings will increase over time because utility rates go up and will continue to go up! Determine If You Have Enough Attic Insulation by clicking here to read more about insulation.

2. Air seal - Get a door sweep. Around the same time I wrote another story called: Why Door Sweeps and Adjustable Thresholds are Important for Energy Savings.  I wrote the following: The bottom of the door gets the most wear and tear so they leak. Fix the bottom of the door, save some cash and green your home. When I did weather stripping on the doors in my house, it helped to reduce the draft. Yet, every time we still felt a breeze and I knew it was making the HVAC work harder. The air flow from the bottom of the door was still a problem. Now that I am getting door sweeps for myself, I will be saving a lot of money on my energy bills and won’t have that nasty draft.  For more on this story at Planet Green, click here Hint: How do you weatherize the bottom of the door? Door bottoms (usually made in aluminum or wood) attach to the bottom of a door and can be adjusted to lightly graze the existing threshold as the door closes.

3. Get BPA free products and water bottles.

For the rest of the story click here



Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

1 comment:

Designer outdoor furniture said...

I gone through full article its very good .....Saving tips