Monday, October 4, 2010

I and Me Farm at Chappaqua’s Table Farm Market

 
I&Me For Mimi Edelman, co-owner of I & ME Farm, located in Bedford Hills NY, (optimum online says that’s where I live) sustainability has been a way of life … literally. Growing up on a large estate in Greenwich, CT, for which her father was horticulturalist, Mimi and her family pretty much lived off the land. “We ate what my father grew, we fished from Long Island Sound, and we hunted for pheasant and deer. Basically, I grew up foraging.” Years later while working on another farm, she met co-owner Eileen Zidi, and the two went on to start I & ME Farm in 2008. “I was destined to come full circle back to [my] beginnings,” she said. Today, Mimi and Eileen lease land from private land owners and employ organic, biodynamic methodology to lovingly grow beautiful, flavor-bursting microgreens, herbs, and vegetables such as a variety of heirloom tomatoes, eggplants, peppers, and beans. “I believe that when you partner with nature in a humble, respectful way rather than try to harness it, you really create very nourishing and enlivened food,” she said. In addition to the Chappaqua market, Mimi and Eileen’s produce can also be found at TABLE Local Market in Bedford Hills, Mt. Kisco Seafood, Mt. Kisco Childcare (an educational cause dear to Mimi’s heart), and in a number of local, highly esteemed restaurants. “Ninety percent of our business is working with local chefs,” she said. Stop by to visit their stand at this week’s market and you’ll find out why.
Chappaqua's TABLE Farm Market  is open 9-1pm every Saturday through November. Each week there will be new vendors..and new musicians playing.

No comments: