Thanksgiving Nibbles That Won't Fill You Up:BLT Deviled Eggs
- 12 extra-large eggs
- 3 slices good quality bacon, finely chopped
- About 1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- About 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon prepared yellow or Dijon mustard
- 2 rounded spoonfuls mayo
- About 2 tablespoons grated onion
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- A couple of small leaves crispy Romaine hearts, thinly sliced or finely chopped
- 4 cherry or grape tomatoes, sliced (If you're making 12 upright eggs, 8 cherry or grape. If you’re serving halved eggs, 24 pieces)
Yields: Makes 12 eggs, 24 halved stuffed eggs
Place eggs in a pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil, cover pot, turn off heat and let stand 10 minutes. Run eggs under cold water, crack the egg shells and soak a couple of minutes. Peel and halve eggs or cut the top third of the egg off to serve eggs upright – you'll have 12 upright eggs versus 24. Scoop out the hard yolks into a small mixing bowl.
Meanwhile, brown the bacon until crisp and drain on paper towels. Add bacon bits to egg yolks. Add the Worcestershire, hot sauce, mustard, mayo and grated onion, and mash to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Place filling in a small plastic baggie and cut the corner off to form a makeshift pastry bag. Pipe the filling into egg whites and top with shredded lettuce and sliced tomatoes.