Saturday, November 7, 2009

My 5 Best Curl Up on the Sofa Date Movies

sex lies and dating This is a guest post by Simone Grant.  Simone is a blogger/writer and social media consultant who lives in New York City.  She blogs daily at Sex, Lies and Dating in the City

  First, some stuff:  1) pretty recently I saw a post on best date movies.  I can't remember where. I forgot to bookmark it and this morning when I googled it I came up with these old posts from Nerve.com and AskMen but that's not the one that made me think of it.  Oh well.

2) I really don't like going to the movies on dates.  It's kind of an antisocial activity.  You're sitting next to someone, not talking.  Unless they're a movie talker, in which case ICK.  And some people are kinda freaks about movies, insisting on sitting in very specific places or getting there really early or leaving if the sound isn't just perfect (don't get me started on that).

I do like movie dates, though.  But only the ones that involve a DVD and a sofa and some yummy junk food.  Maybe some cuddling, too.

Alright, 3) I hate chick flicks.  Loathe them.  I would rather eat glass than see most romcoms and the only thing I hate more than romantic comedies are those long, ridiculous epic love stories.  Titanic - um, I'd rather be locked in a closet for a week without food.

And lastly 4) I think most movies made in the last 10-15 years are too damn long.  I don't want to sit for more than 2 hours for a movie unless it's a work of pure genius.  And let's be honest, very few are.

So a lot of things that end up on these Best lists make me want to heave. Seriously.

That said, here's my list (in no particular order).  My 5 Best Curl Up on the Sofa Date Movies.  And no, I don't expect universal agreement on these.

  1. Psycho -  I love classic Hitchcock and still get a little shiver down my spine every time I see the shower scene.  Excellent for grabbing onto that someone special.
  2. Raiders of the Lost Ark - I was happy to see this as number 7 on Nerve's list.  It's fun, fast and doesn't take itself too seriously. Plus it's under 2 hours long, which is important.  Too many action flicks come in at 2hrs + and, as I said, I think that's too damn long.
  3. Some Like It Hot - Another one of my picks that made the Nerve list (they put it at number 1).  Classic. Hysterical.  Fabulous.
  4. Ferris Bueller's Day Off - It's a generational thing for me.  I was 16 when this movie came out.  And anyone I date would have to be able to get it to get me.  Plus - Danke Shoen.
  5. Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House - Yeah, I know you've never heard of it.  This movie is like a perfect little chocolate truffle. Everything you need in one compact bite.   Think The Money Pit with Cary Grant and genius writers.

ps I would not watch any of the movies on AskMen's list while on a date.  But again, that's just me.

My 5 Best Curl Up on the Sofa Date Movies

No comments: