Tuesday, April 13, 2010

In Good Taste -Warm Cauliflower & Rainbow Swiss Chard Salad with Toasted Bulgur

Mostelyce_chicken_0 days when i wake up (at 5am), I have no idea what I will be preparing that day........Sounds crazy right. This would probably stress out even the most laid back chef. But, for some reason, I love the challenge of looking in my 3 refrigerators in the morning and trying to figure out what goes together. I am blessed to work for a wonderful company, that has put their faith and confidence in me and they are happy to eat whatever I decide to create that day.

So, that being said, this morning I opened one of my refrigerators and found some beautiful rainbow chard and an overabundance of cauliflower. Decided to combine them in a warm salad. As I started preparing the cauliflower, I made myself something to eat. I had some left-over cooked bulgur in the fridge. I heated it up and while I was eating it, decided that my warm cauliflower and rainbow swiss chard salad would definitely benefit by the addition of this nutty, hearty grain.

Here it is, my creation of the day:

Warm Cauliflower & Rainbow Swiss Chard Salad w/ Toasted Bulgur

Olive oil
1 head cauliflower
1 bunch rainbow swiss chard
5 cloves garlic, chopped
1 cup bulgur
1 teaspoon better than bouillon-organic vegetable broth base
salt & pepper to taste

preheat oven to 375.
Cut cauliflower into bite size florets, wash & dry thoroughly.
Place in a roasting pan and coat with olive oil, salt & pepper. Stir to cover evenly.
Roast at 375 until the florets begin to brown and turn golden.

Place bulgur in a large soup pot that has a tight fitting lid.
Cook over medium high heat stirring frequently till fragrant.
Add enough boiling water to cover the bulgur in the pot.
Add the better than bouillon and stir until dissolved in the water and bulgur.
Lower the heat to simmer and cover.
Cook just until water is fully absorbed by bulgur.
You are going to have to pay close attention. Check after 10 min.

While the cauliflower is roasting & bulgur is cooking. wash and dry rainbow chard.
Chop into bite size pieces.
Heat a generous amount of olive oil in a large sauté pan. When oil is hot, add chopped garlic.
When garlic starts to brown add chard and stir to coat with oil and garlic.
Cook until chard is wilted, but not brown.

Combine all three components adding the oil from both the cauliflower pan & the rainbow swiss chard pan. Be sure to get every last bit of garlic as well. Add more olive oil & or salt & pepper to taste.

Enjoy !!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: