Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Cooking Lentils

I had lunch at Brio Mediterranean Ristorante in Mt Kisco, NY the other day with my friends Rockin Randi and Gorgeous Gayle. Both ladies ordered the Cast Iron Grilled Filet of Salmon on French Green Lentils with Mesclun Salad. I was intrigued by the lentils. I am totally a fan of lentils , but I never make them at home.

Don't you have to soak lentils? Who could ever remember to soak something before dinner, not me.
By the way, lentils are packed with nutrients, fiber, complex carbohydrates, and folic acid. Lentils are a low calorie, low fat and cholesterol free food as well as being inexpensive..

I asked the waiter to send out the chef, hoping he would share his recipe with me. I wanted to make these lentils at home. I like to keep the dinner choices at home interesting. I like to introduce one new dish a week just to keep dinner interesting. Here is what he said.........

In a 12" saute pan with a lid,

Saute a couple of shallots in a little olive oil
Add 2 cups of lentils add sautee as well
Add 4 cups chicken stock and a chopped carrot bring to a boil and then turn down to a simmer and cover.
Let simmer for 30 to 45 minutes.

Delicious!!!!!!!



No comments: